Seven Horcruxes (Re: CHAPDISC: DH, EPILOGUE)

Jen Reese stevejjen at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 02:29:20 UTC 2009

No: HPFGUIDX 185394

Carol:
<snipping down to small point>
> BTW again, and I'm really straying from the post I'm responding to
> here, does anyone think that Voldemort is right (in terms of JKR's
> world) about seven's being a lucky number and that he would have
> had a better chance against Harry if he hadn't made that extra
> Horcrux? Or was the "bad luck" the creation of that accidental
> Horcrux regardless of its place in the sequence and the total
> number of Horcruxes in the sense that he accidentally created his
> own worst enemy?

Jen: You make an interesting observation, Carol.  I think Tom was
supposed to be correct when declaring "seven [is] the most powerfully
magical number..." (HBP) JKR tends to incorporate easily reconizable
features into her stories like wands, brooms, cauldrons, tarot cards,
star-gazing centaurs, etc.  Sometimes there are really good twists,
like the Lightning Struck Tower card proving literally true rather
than acting symbolically or making a mockery of Trelawney.  Regarding
the number 7, it does have recognizable significance - seven days of
the week, seven planets, biblical reference to creation - and in a
twist, Voldemort curses himself by unknowingly creating an extra
Horcrux.  That fits with LV's pattern of bringing himself down, 'best
laid plans' and all that.