Disarming spell/ Character's choices

sistermagpie sistermagpie at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 03:20:47 UTC 2009

No: HPFGUIDX 185461

Magpie:
> Having the killer kill
> himself after the hero shows mercy is a standard Hollywood way
around
> it. Which doesn't mean it doesn't work, but it's a bit of a cheat

Lynda:
> Well, it's a literary device that's been around a lot longer than
Hollywood
> has, to start off with. . .and that's why it doesn't bother me. I
expected
> it and she did a good job in writing it. My opinion, of course--so
I don't
> have any complaints on the ending, having expected it from the
first day I
> picked up SS or at least fairly close to that. Predictible, yes,
but after
> all there are only so many plots in the world and they have ALL
been used ad
> infinitum.

Mapgie:
I don't have a big problem with it--I get why it works. I'm just
saying that as the solution to the problem of "how do we have the bad
guy killed but still make a point about how our hero is morally
superior for showing mercy" it works because it lets you have it both
ways. You make one choice but there's no real suspense that we won't
get the consequence of the other.

-m