Are We Really This Old?

S_Ings s_ings at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 10:15:41 UTC 2009

No: HPFGUIDX 187815

*List Elves scurry about under a ceiling glowing with fireworks*

Zippy Elf : What's going on here?
Penapart Elf : Who set off fireworks in here? We're going to get in trouble!
*Shorty Elf cowers behind the door* It wasn't me!
*Cardi Elf pushes in a trolley of nibblies*
Phlytie Elf: Did you see that bar over in the corner?
Alika Elf: If we start giving them butterbeer and firewhiskey there's going to be trouble!
Rylly Elf: I know! Give them drinks and the next thing you know there'll be OT-ness and other shenanigans happening on Main.

Heidi: Don't you guys know what today is?

*the List Elves stop in their tracks and stare at each other*

Kroppy Elf: No way!
Vexxy Elf: You've got to be kidding me! Already?
Marvin Elf: You know what they say - time flies when you're having fun!
Kelley Elf: I think we better let everyone know what's going on.
Amandageist: I know! We can send a memo to the List Members!

*Rylly Elf name steps up to a podium, shakes out an official looking parchment and starts reading*

Memo from HPFGU Hexquarters
Topic: Party on Main

To Our Esteemed List Members:

Some of you may have noticed the commotion happening here on the HPFGU Main List. Yes, it's highly unusual for the List Elves to promote wanton off-topic-ness here, but right now we're allowing it. In fact, we're going to ask you to please be off-topic until the end of the day Sunday.

Why, you might ask? Well, there's something special happening here on HPFGU. We're celebrating our 10 year anniversary! That's right - TEN YEARS! That's a very long time and we're asking you to join the celebration.

For those who want to take a look back at the beginnings of this group, we have archives! Pull your chair up to this group:

We know you're all up for a party, so fill a plate with food, grab your favourite drink from the bar and help us mark this special occasion with your memories of the time you've spent here!

We realise some of you will have no problem joining the festivities and speaking up. Some of the more quiet List Members might need some encouragement. To that end, we've come up with some ideas as to how you can share the fun. We've thought up some questions that might help jog the memory. Feel free to answer any or all of them. Add your own. Or just tell us your thoughts on your time here at HPFGU.

How long have you been a member of HPFGU?
How did you find us?
What was your best and/or most unexpected experience here?
What's been your favourite topic of discussion?
Favourite post of your own to the group?
Favourite post of anyone else's to the group?
If you were given the chance, what would you ask JKR?
Have any of your online friendships here gone on to real life
meetings/friendships?

Along the journey, we've also lost members. Please, take a moment to remember those no longer with us. Say a few words on their behalf. Share your favourite memory of them with us and help us remember them with you.

This group has been many things to many people. A place to discuss, debate, argue, agree, celebrate and commiserate. Today we're asking you to celebrate with us. Without you, there is no HPFGU.

HPly yours,

The List Elves

Zaney Elf: Is she done talking yet?
Twisp Elf: I hope so, I'm nearly faint with hunger.
Blinky Elf: Never mind food, I'm heading for the butterbeer!
Corbie Elf: Okay, but no getting drunk and running amok. You'll scare the List Members!
Speedy Elf: Are you kidding, everyone's always up for a party.
Crikey Elf: I think there's only one thing left to say.
Kroppy Elf: What's that?

List Elves, in unison: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

*a small voice from the back, Exmoor Elf, adds, "Let's Party"*