Kitsunes in Harry Potter

snidgety <snidget_the_smooshable@hotmail.com> snidget_the_smooshable at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 22 02:53:03 UTC 2002

No: HPFGUIDX 48672

Hey, I'm Snidget.
Well, I'm here mostly to suggest a theory, so insane, off-the-wall,
impossible, implausible, far-fetched, swarming with holes,
inconsistancies, and magical robots that you wil have no choice but
to roll your eyes and then have me locked away for my own good.
 *takes a deep breath*
Okay, it all started whilst I was hanging about at the Velan
Controlled Library, generally bugging people, much like I'm doing
here. So, I came upon a link to a site about kitsunes.
http://www.comnet.ca/~foxtrot/kitsune/kitsune1.htm . Now, as you may
or may not know, a Kitsune is a fox spirit/demon which originated in
India, and was adopted by Japan. But as I read it, I started to
notice some striking similarities between a Kitsune and everybody's
favorite potions teacher.
And yes, this is the part where you should be getting a straight-
jacket ready.

Okay, quotes from the site:
"Kitsune are notorious for seeing a weakness in someone, and
aggravating the weakness, until others see it."
That cerainly sounds Snapey to me. This would be most obvious in
Neville and how Sev treats him. He knows Neville is bad at potions,
and he does everything in his power to make it more obvious.

"Kitsune are also a victim of their own feelings. A kitsune's
emotions can cause them harm, or distract them. The Sin of Regret can
even kill a kitsune outright."

Severus seems to regret being a Death Eater. Perhaps this is
becuaseit's actually killing him, and only by making it up to the
Light side, will it stop?

"Kitsune do not accept aid from those who are not willing. Those who
wish to aid a kitsune, must do so of their own free will. Kitsune are
very loath to ask for help..."

No real example for this one, but we've never heard him ask for help.
When Filch helps him with his leg, Sev didn't seem to be in a very
good mood. He probably didn't want to ask for help, but he had too.
Just an idea.

"Kitsune are emotional and very vengeful. Kitsune will lose their
temper at the slightest provocation. Once someone has earned a
kitsune's enmity, the kitsune will begin enacting revenge that can
become quite extreme."

I think we all know the examples for this one. To begin with, it's
quite obvious Sev has a short fuse. The entire Shrieking Shack scene,
many potion classes. He also seems totally hellbent on making Remus
miserable throughout Prisoner of Azkaban, and was so vengeful in the
Shrieking Shack that he threatened both Remus and Sirius with
delivery to the dementors.

"Freedom is very important to the kitsune. They do not accept being
forced into something they do not wish, and do not like being bound
or trapped."

Being a Death Eater is certainly being bound into something, isn't
it? This might be a reason he left Voldemort. He had no idea what he
was getting into.

 "Kitsune follow their own code of ethics, though they adapt the
morals of those around them, more for the sake of being accepted than
for any other reason ... If someone offends what a kitsune
considers 'correct', they can become evil, malicious, and
disruptive.If someone behaves according to their ethics, they will
become  polite, kind, and helpful."
Now, here's where Harry comes in. Obviously, in the school, rule-
breaking is supposedly considered "immoral." This may explain is
animosity towards Harry and towards Sirius when they were in school
together.
 ---
>From other sources:

"It is also thought that elemental Kitsune reflect their element in
their personalities/characteristics."

The 13 elements of Kitsunes are Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Stone,
Plant, The Sea, Light, Thunder, Dark, Spirit, Time, and Music. Seems
to me, the most fitting for Sev would be Dark, or Void. Dark eyes,
dark hair, dark humor! Seems it would fit. He's also pretty broody,
if you ask me. Dark kitsune are also known for causing trouble.
Legend says that a single Kitsune, known as Hua-yang, caused the
collapse of two Chinese empires.

Now, of course there are contradictory parts of kitsune lore that
might dispove my theory. Such as kisune being family-oriented, and
that male kitsunes are not overly so. (Though, Sev isn't exactly
described as macho, is he?)

Well, that's pretty much it. I await your throwing of tomatoes. And I
do realise this is too incredibly far-fetched to ever happen, but
boy, it sure does make for some good fanfiction ideas. ^_^

Now, these characteristics can be used to describe people on a
regular basis, of course, but the apperance of a Kitsune is entirely
possible. My theory is pretty far-fetched, but J.K. has thrown us
completely off course more than once, and I think such a long time
without a new book is making the lines between fanon and canon blur.

And don't act like you've never heard a worse theory, cause they're
out there.

-Snidget